Various forms of martial arts have materialized over the years. In popular context today, martial arts is used as a means to win competitions; but the sport was primarily taught to achieve harmony between the heart and the mind. But which martial arts technique is best to achieve such harmony? We compare two well-known jiu-jitsu techniques – Gracie Jiu-Jitsu & Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ).
- Gracie Jiu-Jitsu sees martial arts as a means of self-defense, focusing more on training one’s mind to deal with sudden situations & act rapidly.
- Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, on the other hand, is more centralized towards grappling & how to combat through techniques that will allow them to win a competition.
- Gracie Jiu-Jitsu specialists teach the art with no consideration of age, size & gender because this form of martial arts is supposed to be learned as a means to protect oneself. Hence, their techniques are more flexible, diverse & all-accommodating.
- In contrast, BJJ has a stricter stance with regards to training, since its main focus is to teach students offensive techniques to win a fight.
- Since Gracie Jiu-Jitsu has a self-defense approach to the sport, a “fight simulation” is usually used to train students, wherein they are faced with random situations.
- In Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, the training plan is more fixed, with training revolving around learning how to put their opponent on the mat as soon as possible through aggressive & quick maneuvers.
- The targets selected for training in Gracie Jiu-Jitsu are generally larger & relatively stronger because of its self-defensive strategy of training. In this way, the students are conditioned to tackle any opponent, whether larger in size or smaller.
- Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu has a fixed & structured pattern of teaching where the students are taught to fight with people who tend to fall in the same weight scale, as well as skills category, as them.
While no one sport is greater than the other, Gracie Jiu-Jitsu has a long-term approach. It focuses on martial arts as a self-defense measure & seasons its students to lead a more empowered lifestyle. BJJ, however, is a more competitive sport in nature. The Royce Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Academy in Dubai is one of the best martial arts gyms in Dubai, which can provide thorough training, not only focusing on training but offering meticulous care with regards to individual nutrition requirements as well.